Friday, April 19, 2013

Happy National Library Week!

If I was more on top of my game, I would have posted this sooner. However, I'm not. Sorry.



YAY LIBRARIES!

One of the most challenging tasks for libraries (remember I am only a baby professional at this point) is maintaining relevancy and promoting services. Libraries offer amazing services and resources, but they will never be utilized if patrons don't know they exist. In my opinion, the best thing we can do as LIS professionals is be loud and proud. The more people we engage, the more likely positive feedback will spread from one person to the next.

According to a Pew research survey released in January 2013,

  • 80% of Americans say borrowing books is a “very important” service libraries provide. This goes against all those naysayers who want us to believe that "print is dead" and libraries are dead, and no one reads. To them, I say, "Au contraire!" 
  • 80% say reference librarians are a “very important” service of libraries. Again, this is an indication that patrons come to libraries for more than Internet usage or even to check out materials. People crave in-person interactions with trusted professionals. They want to know that their research is valid and important. I hope libraries continue to express this to patrons and, consequently, keep this number high.
  • 77% say free access to computers and the internet is a “very important” service of libraries. First, we cannot take for granted that in a time of heavy technology use, some people do not own computers. Second, even if patrons own computers, they may not have Internet access at home. Third, they may desire help with computers and the Internet. Enter the knight in shining armor - your local library.
I could go on for ages, but I'll spare you. If you ever have a spare weekend - or even an hour to visit your library - I bet you'll be surprised by materials and/or services available. Personally, I believe libraries are cool and have been cool throughout my lifetime. Let's keep them that way and promote them!

See the survey by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment