Sunday, March 31, 2013

Social Media in Libraries

I am truly impressed with how various libraries have embraced social media. I read this article and think it's a great way to demonstrate that libraries can professionally utilize social media to engage patrons: 20 Ways Libraries are Using Pinterest

Below are a few other social media success stories (based purely on opinion):

I randomly chose a library to research catalog formats during school, and I came across the Salt Lake City Public Library. I've thought about their format ever since, because I love how interactive it is. Patrons can rate books on a 1-5 star scale, write reviews (similar to Amazon), and "share" their updates on Facebook, Twitter, and through email. To me, this truly engages a younger population while giving them a chance to voice their opinions. Having patrons identify with their library both in person and online is extremely beneficial. Click on this library link and search the first title that pops in your head to see what I mean: Salt Lake City Library.

The Hinsdale Public Library outside Chicago has a great Facebook page. One tricky aspect of social media is that it should be updated often in order to be effective. Yes, it takes time and effort, but I believe it needs to be updated as often as possible. Hinsdale has done a great job of organizing photos into albums, updating regularly, and promoting a variety of programs.

The Urbana Free Library has a Twitter account (@UrbanaLibrary) and they update frequently with library closings, events, and photos. Moreover, the tweets often link back to their Facebook account or the library website. This is a great way to show patrons that a library website can be so much more than books! I can't wait to be a larger part of this discussion and/or implementation.

Other helpful articles on this topic:

5 Tips for Using Social Media in Your Library
The Social Library
4 Reasons Libraries Should be on Social Media

No comments:

Post a Comment