Monday, September 24, 2012

Week 4 (Elementary Age Children)

Kiefer, Barbara. "Understanding Reading." School Library Journal 47 (Feb. 2001).

         One quote in particular stood out to me from this article. Kiefer mentions that, "Like any professional involved in education, librarians will want to try and stay informed about research in learning and literacy through professional meetings and journals. This does not mean that they must become literacy experts or teachers of reading. However, librarians' understanding of the reading process and literacy learning can empower them to speak up for children and for books" (my emphasis added).
         I am fortunate enough to have a fantastic support group of friends and family who have encouraged my endeavors as a librarian-in-training. However, there have been naysayers along the way, too. I've been asked, "Since when do you have to go to school to be a librarian?" I've been told that, "Libraries are dying," and "You have a long, thankless road ahead of you." Perhaps now I should write down Kiefer's quote and keep it with me to silence the pessimistic folks. Surely they will understand that being a librarian is not about the bricks and the physical space. It's not about print material battling electronic material. It's about engaging children (and adults) and helping them discover what type of book makes them forget where they are. It's about leveling the playing field and demonstrating to others that a library (whether the physical space, bookmobile, or personal collection) freely gives all of us access to the same materials.
         I think the above excerpt from Kiefer directly applies to what Margaret Meek said in the reading given below.

Ross, Catherine Sheldrick. Reading Matters: What the Research Reveals About Reading, Libraries, and Community.

           When summarizing what we know about reading, Meek writes, "A book, a person, and shared enjoyment: these are the conditions of success." I am by no means trying to say that being a librarian is easy or easily defined. Rather, I think we should remember to take a step back and focus on the root of the LIS field: as librarians, we are advocates for children. My job now is to learn more about developmental stages so I can thwart the naysayers with factual information in defense of libraries, literacy, and learning. Even librarians can use some extra empowerment from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment