Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Week 2 (Intro to History of Youth Services Librarianship)

Ziarnek, Natalie. School & Public Libraries: Developing the Natural Alliance. Chapters 1-2

Top three "takeaway" issues:

1. A lack of reliable roads during the Progressive Era (1890-1920) meant less access to books and information. This prompted me to question whether or not we have solved the issue(s) today. While our physical roads may be more stable, does everyone have equal access to information? The Internet plays a crucial role in our lives, yet we overlook the fact that not everyone has both the technology and funds available for Internet at home. Perhaps we have our own "Progressive Era" happening now, in different ways.
    • Real life example: I served with AmeriCorps in rural Washington State two years ago. I worked in a town of approximately 800 people and it was painfully obvious that not everyone equal access to information. Thankfully the town had a library, but many parents could not provide transportation to get their children there. 
2. Librarians must strike a balance between promoting services and "lying low." This reminds me of servers at a restaurant. Very few of us like servers who operate too far on one end of the spectrum: I don't want someone hovering over me while I eat, but I certainly don't want someone disappearing until the end of the meal either. Librarians must artfully craft a happy medium where the public is aware of available resources but does not feel smothered and/or driven away.
    • During my History of Library Buildings course, we toured various libraries that partnered with marketing firms. I was highly impressed that they had the initiative (and funds) to do so. I am of the mindset that by providing information through multiple formats (online blogs, social media sites, SWAG, etc), we can truly reach the greatest amount of patrons. 
3. The main goals that both public and school libraries share include: placing the right book in the hands of the right child at the right time, advocating for intellectual freedom, promoting quality literature, and encouraging lifelong library use. This is why I want to be a librarian. These are the values I will continue to uphold.
    • Throughout periods of change in the LIS field, the core remains.

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic first post. I think this is one of the ideal examples of what this assignment can be - taking the readings and the course materials and turning it into takeaway bits that will actually stay clearly with you. I love the inspiration and passion of the last point, and I like your server analogy. I also appreciate your tags.

    ReplyDelete