Monday, July 1, 2013

Equal Access

My apologies for being a slacker or seeming disoriented. I've started a new job, moved to a new apartment, and found lots of fun things to do outside (can you blame me?).

Today's post is less scholarly and more muse-worthy.

At this stage in my life, equal access to information and services is something I find particularly relevant. My roommate/best friend and I have chosen not to pay for internet until our third roommate arrives. Don't get me wrong, we love surfing the web as much as the next person, but we're also poor. While I would love to have the capability to veg out online, it's also not a priority at this time. We've been met with many responses along the lines of, "What?! You don't have WiFI? What do you do?!" To which we typically reply, "Well, we cook. We bike. We go for walks. We talk to one another." Admittedly there is a part of me that wants to prove everyone wrong. I can live without the Internet, and so can you. It is possible. But what I really appreciate is the option to access it from my local library during this time.

I had to complete a job application online last week (I figure if I have two part-time jobs, it will be closer to the equivalent of one full-time position). While in theory I could apply using my smartphone, I would much rather use a computer. I biked to the local library, registered my card from a neighboring county, and felt the metaphorical doors opening for me. I logged into the computer, finished my application, and checked out materials that caught my eye. During my day, I was reminded of how similar my situation is to that of many patrons. It made me realize the following:
  • We cannot assume everyone has the Internet (or technology to access it).
  • In our internet-centered world, there are not many places for people to log on for free. Libraries remain steadfast!
  • Libraries are excellent as back up plans. For example, my printer jammed. I have no way to figure out what's wrong with it, nor do I have the time to research getting it repaired. In the meantime,  I can go to the library and print until my heart is content.
As a patron, librarian, and community member, the past month of my life has made me appreciate libraries more than usual (which is saying a lot). Here's hoping they continue to be crucial pillars in our ever-changing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment