Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Week 11 (School Librarianship)

This past week, we discussed collaboration between school and public libraries. Obviously there can be various levels of communication between the two parties; I think we've all heard about magnificent partnerships and nonexistent relationships.
        I'd like to think about this topic in relation to youth programs at a public library (so it may seem slightly off track, my apologies). In particular, I am pondering my upcoming Preschool Storytime at the Urbana Free Library. Rather than being held in the auditorium as usual, this week it will be relocated to Megan's Reading Room due to a Friends of the Library booksale. As a librarian-to-be, I've been pondering how this will impact my program, both in positive and negative ways.
           Megan's Reading Room is a tiered, carpeted room of various heights. It is significantly smaller than the auditorium, and has child-sized doors on multiple walls for different access points. I have deferred to other librarians for suggestions about fingerplays and rhymes for the program. I'm a firm believer that kids like to move, and many of them learn while doing so. Although I'd like to have the preschoolers get up and dance (maybe to Raffi's "Shake Your Sillies Out"), I don't think this is a smart idea, mainly due to the room layout.
           If I had more time, I would have tried to collaborate with teachers. Often times, large groups of day care/ preschool students come to our programs with their caregivers, so this would present an opportunity for me to partner with them. I think they would have great ideas for short, entertaining activities for the kids that don't require standing. I hope in my future that I am employed at a library that encourages such partnership.

No comments:

Post a Comment